Monday, March 24, 2014

Healthy Eating Is Not Rocket Science.

Today many people are realizing it's important to eat healthy. Exercise is important as well. Put them together and there is a good chance you can live much longer, and be more active in your golden years. Being old does not mean giving up.

I for one want to be active as possible when I get older. Right now I am 54 years old. And I work with the elderly. And it seems they don't want to do anything. I don't want to be like that.

The last few years I have really stepped up my eating habits, not that they were to bad before. I have always exercised. I don't want my body to get stiff, and I don't want to slow down and be tired all the time.

There is no real set plan on how to eat healthy. I enjoy making a fruit smoothie everyday. And it always includes a banana, yogurt, almond milk or juice, and wheat germ. I also like cream of wheat or eggs for breakfast. I eat mushrooms once a week, as well as shrimp and scallops. I like chicken a lot. I don't eat much beef. I eat plenty of fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes , broccoli, onions, green bell peppers, potatoes with the skins on, there is vitamins in the skins. I love all types of fresh fruit. And my favorite fruits are blueberries, strawberries, bananas, cantaloupe, apples, and Mandarin oranges, to name a few. I also eat lots of nuts and seeds. I love all the varieties of nuts, and they are really good for you, though they are high in fat, but better than chips and other snack foods.

And what I don't believe in is low fat and no fat foods. When you take something out, you need to add something, and usually that is sugar. Besides they taste really nasty with no real flavor. And if I am going to eat Cream Cheese and Cottage Cheese, darn it I want the real thing! Also for instance it is not good for diabetics to have this type of packaged salad dressing, as it is higher in sugar content. In general it is always a good idea to read the labels on products.



And many super foods can ward off some health conditions, like heart disease, and some cancers. If you are thinking of trying to eat better foods, just google the healthy foods you like, and you will find a wealth of info. And once you start eating better, you will feel better, and have more energy. Another thing to take note of, is don't think just by taking a vitamin pill,that it will do the trick and make you feel better. You need the real thing, and that is to get it from the foods we eat. Also try to limit deep fried foods, as it clogs the arteries.
And drink plenty of water. I know we hear this all the time, but it is true, especially for diabetics. Water hydrates the skin, helps plump up wrinkles, and flushes out the system. And Cranberry juice is really good for you as well. It helps with the urinary track.

Well this is just a few of my suggestions for staying healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment